I sought out much advice about the regression/potty issue (thank you to those who offered) and thought a lot about my daughter's temperament and how she has been acting and came up with a plan. I decided to take all the pressure off and give her her free will. I was asking her to go to the potty first thing in the morning and she was refusing. So I told her that was fine, it was her choice. She could choose to pee on the potty or she could choose to pee in her pants and both choices were fine with me. She decided she wanted to go on the potty. Throughout the day I never reminded her to go to the potty, I simply reminded her every so often to remember that she could choose to make a big girl choice and go on the potty or make a baby choice and go in her pants. She has not chosen to go in her pants since I started this. I have her in lined rubber pants just in case, but I told her she could put on her real big girl panties again if she makes big girl choices all day. I may sound corny, but it is what worked for us. I tried bribery, I tried rewards, I tried letting her sit in her wet pants, I tried deprivation of privileges, nothing worked. I guess it boils down to intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation. I just keep telling her how proud I am of the choices she is making and her face just lights up. I hope it continues!
1 comment:
Yay that she's making good choices!!
Post a Comment