Thursday, June 28, 2007

I've been so lucky

I don't think I realized how lucky I've been with my daughter and her not getting sick. She has been sick maybe three times in 2 1/2 years and has never vomited (since she used to spit up). Anyway, she has been acting a little off the last few days. Granted we have been really going all out with activities. Swimming lessons every day. This weekend we got up at 4:45 and went to a hot air balloon launch and Breakfast on the Farm. Then Sunday for a walk and picked blackberries and then out in the boat for the afternoon evening. Tuesday we had visitors over so she has been more active and not getting as much sleep and it got hot there for awhile. Anyway, yesterday she was reluctant to go to her swim lesson but I thought it was just because I had let her watch TV. That afternoon she started acting real tired at the park, almost fell asleep in the shopping trolley at the grocery store. She fell asleep before I could get any fluids in her (I realized she had not really drank enough that day). She slept for 2 1/2 hours and woke up screaming and not wanting to eat or drink anything! Her skin was very hot to the touch. I made her drink a little milk because I thought she might be a little dehydrated and possibly a touch of heat over exposure. Anyway, she only drank like an ounce. I took her temp and it was just a low grade fever (101.3 rectally). Then I decided to give her some Tylenol because she said her head really hurt. She took that. I tried to get her to eat a little yogurt since she hadn't eaten anything in six hours. She refused, I put a little in her mouth and she gagged and vomited up what was left of her lunch. She has never vomited before and I'm sure she didn't know what was going on. It was even coming out her nose. After that I convinced her to take a bath to wash off the vomit and the Tylenol slowly kicked in. She gradually started playing then by the time my husband got home she was in fairly good spirits, even a little hyper (Tylenol does that to her). She ate a good dinner and a whole cupcake (thanks to my husband who thought it would make her feel better, I don't think the sugar was a good idea, but he is a parent too). Anyway, gradually the Tylenol wore off and she asked to go to bed. Her skin started to get real hot again and she had a fitful night. I was able to get her to take a couple sips of milk every four hours or so but she mainly just lay there so miserable with real raspy breathing and just so hot to the touch. Thankfully our heat wave had broken so I knew it wasn't the temperature of her room. I finally took her temp again at 7 and it was still just low grade. I really wanted her fever to break over night, but she isn't sweating and there are no signs of that happening. I finally convinced her to take some more medicine and it worked, she perked up and was able to drink some and eat a little breakfast. She says her throat hurts. I am at a loss because she has never been sick. She is so pathetic and I want to help her feel better but I also want her little body to work this out on its own. Now comes another problem. I work this weekend. There is NO ONE to cover. My boss called me yesterday to see if I would be alright working the whole shift myself (since one of my clients is leaving at 8am). I know if my daughter is still sick my husband will demand that I don't work, there is no way and this will become a huge issue. Also, there is the possibility if this is a virus that I will come down with it. I am just going to try and keep us both hydrated and pray for the best. I don't blame my husband because I know she will just cry for me the whole time, but staffing at work is desperate at the moment. Anyway, enough rambling, I need to go see what she is watching on TV. Please don't let it be the Wonder Pets, I can't stand that show...

No comments: