Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The carpets went well, in the end

So I've been nervous about my ambition to clean the carpets, being 35 wks pregnant and all. Yesterday morning after I got back from the drs. I vacuumed, moved all the furniture into the kitchen, bathrooms, and a corner of the dining room, and went and rented the machine. I decided to start with the upstairs hallway so I hauled the thing upstairs, filled it with water and started. It just didn't seem to be working. The detergent was only sputtering out and the carpet didn't even feel damp in most places. There was some water in the recovery bucket but not much. So then I hauled the blasted thing (full of water now) down the stairs to try it on the living room carpet. After much pontification and some not nice thoughts I finally decided it was not operator error but indeed something amiss with the machine. So I loaded it back into the Jeep and hauled it back to tell them it wasn't spraying detergent. "Oh, the hose is probably clogged, that happens, you didn't have to haul the whole thing back, here's another hose." No, we are sorry that you hauled that thing up and down multiply flights of stairs (my house is not handicap accessible) and lifted it in and out of the Jeep, here's a discount :( Oh, and I also had to try and figure out a way to empty the tank (which does not detach from the machine) to bring it back (unnecessarily) and wasted 5 ounces of carpet cleaning solution... Regardless, when I got back and got everything set up it worked beautifully. I could have been done in the time it took me to hassle with the first machine. Then my husband gets home, just as I was finishing cleaning out the machine, and wants me to go fishing with him, right now! Do you not want to go? Yes, it would be nice to finally be in the boat without having to supervise a small child, but I'm just a little tired at the moment. Anyway, it was a pleasant evening out on the lake. This morning I moved all the furniture back and finished the last little bit of the dining room (yes some crazy person installed carpet in the dining room and I haven't changed it yet). Now I am resting while I decide whether to clean the rugs or just clean out the machine, take it back and be done with the project. Regardless, it was worth the effort. Men just don't understand. My husband wanted to wait until we sell, I argued that five years (yes I'm embarrassed) of vomit, feces, urine, and dirt cannot be healthy and I would rather protect our family's health than the new owners. This difference of opinion ended as it usually does, I did the whole thing myself.
In other news, we finally have our building permit back and our contractor has actually written a contract. Of course now he can't start until the 30th, but the further this project drags on the less I really care. At first I wanted it done ASAP so we wouldn't have to worry about it and the new baby, but as I get bigger, I get more apathetic. Besides, this guys bid was 7 grand less than the next guy so I'm willing to cut him a little slack. It will just be nice to be rid of the big eye sore barn and have a garage in which we can actually park.
I don't know when my daughter is coming back from her grandparents. She seems to be having a great time and now that I'm done cleaning carpets I should be able to relax a bit as well. After two years of having to be aware of someone else at all times, it is weird to be childless. A temporary state, so I'm trying to enjoy it.
Enough waffling, I must go finish the carpet task and probably change out of my pajamas as well :)

1 comment:

d e v a n said...

Wow! I'm glad it went well, but how annoying about the hose!!! Enjoy your childfree days!