Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So cliche'

I know it is so cliche' but I am starting to get frustrated about my weight/body image. I have always been relatively active and never needed to consciously watch what I eat or exercise deliberately. Well here I am nearly ten months post-partum and I am unhappy with how I feel and I hope I look. I KNOW that having babies changes things, and I KNOW that I am now on the other side of 30 and metabolic/hormonal changes are probably at play but I do not like feeling like this. I have had a much harder time maintaining my milk supply this time around and it seems to be directly correlated to times when I'm not eating copious amounts of food (busy, sick, trying to control the urge to gorge all day long). I have also been dealing with a fair amount of stress and I think I have become a stress eater during all this, how does one stop that? Finally, and probably the most scary, I think I might be pre-diabetic. I have been wondering for awhile since I can feel when my blood sugar is wonky and it has been a lot, but I took my fasting blood sugar when my mom was here at it was 119, definitely not stellar. There is a possibility that her meter might be having troubles since my dad had a high reading at home and then a normal reading at the doctor, but I am inclined to believe the results. So here is the challenge, I think I need to 1) eat better, 2) figure out a way to get regular cardio-vascular exercise, 3) lose 5-10 lbs. It just seems strange after all these years to be having to make the effort to manage my weight. I gained nearly 35 lbs with my daughter and I remember towards the end of my pregnancy feeling so much empathy for people who have a natural propensity to carry extra weight, it is hard to move around and sustain activity when carrying extra weight. I don't feel like I'm at that point (I really don't know what I weigh since I haven't been on a scale since my 6 week appointment) but I know I have bulges in places I'd rather not and don't feel comfortable in my clothes. Here's hoping I can just motivate and enlist some self-control and get back to a healthier state of being.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I don't know what you looked like prebabies but I thought you looked great when I saw you in November.;)

The couch-to-5K jogging plan is a good place to start for cardio. It's on www.coolrunning.com It's completely doable, just requires the will power to stick with it. Something that I seem to have lost...

We don't have a scale in the house (Patrick overshot the toilet and soaked it one time too many lol) so the only time I know what my weight is when I go to the dr. That's not a bad thing. It's easy to obsess over a #. I think going by how you feel and how your clothes fit is the best way.

Good luck!

d e v a n said...

I think most people struggle with their weight or body image at some point. It sounds like you have a good plan. I loved the couch to 5k myself.

Anonymous said...

J, it is so hard to start... but I think you don't need to think so much about what you eat as how much you exercise. I am really lazy but that couch to 5k plan looks great... if you want we could pair up as buddies and try to get ourselves off the couch together. :) I will PM you me email if you are interested. I too feel the same, I am not loosing it this time like I did after N. when I didn't have to do much more than bfeed him for those 2 years, I know it is early, but I would love to get back into those pants I once wore.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

((((hugs))))