How are you? It feels awkward really coming back to the long neglected blog. But hey. Things here continue to roll along. Baby #3 is expected in less then three months, this continues to terrify me. We continue to deal with the rollercoaster of sleep issues, who's getting it, who's not, who could be better at it, etc. My 4 year old has been waking at night sometimes from dreams and sometimes "because she is lonely". She wants someone to stay with her. It doesn't even work to let her come down with us, because she doesn't sleep and consequently neither do I. So now she has moved her bed in with her younger brother who barring illness has been a great sleeper recently. Can you see where I am going with this? My biggest fear being that this will also drag him down a poor sleep path. Anyhow, my daughter swears that if she is with him she won't be so lonely at night. Well, last night was night #6 and 4 of the nights have been perfect. Two of the nights have not been so. One night she woke up at 4:30 yelling about a dream which woke up her brother. I went up and told her to go down and wait on my bed while I trired to get him back to sleep (unsucessfully). I finally left him in his crib to talk to her and convinced her to go back to bed after using the toilet. She went back to bed, my son decided it was morning and wanted breakfast. Yay! The second bad night, I heard yelling at 2:30 a.m. and thought it was her again, went up there to find her bed empty and my son crying in his crib. I got him up to rock him (deciding that 2:30 was definitely too early for breakfast) and she finally came back in from using the bathroom. The door handle and door are so loud in that room that I truly believe that there is no way for her to exit the room without waking him up. Anyway, she got back in bed and after a few minutes stated "mom, I have to puke". I sent her to the bathroom, put my son down (thankfully asleep at this point), and went to help her finish being sick. We then brushed teeth, rocked for a few minutes and she went back to bed, thankfully until morning. So I guess things have not been too bad, the downside is that when he wakes up in the morning, so does she which earlier than she used to and if one is up at night they both are up. I don't like having to tell her she has to wait because she understands. So, for anyone with room sharing, night waking experience, do they eventually learn to sleep through the other's commotion? Is there a different way to counteract the "I'm lonely" thus scared complaint? I think it would be hard to get my daughter to not share with him anymore, but if she manages to bring his sleep down too, she might be evicted. I feel like the last 4 1/2 years it has been the same story different rendition, time after time. And here we are about to add a third factor, just shoot me now...
3 comments:
Our experiences with shared rooms has been fine but it's involved a bigger age difference so any issues haven't been so much about sleep but in sharing the same space. Maybe I'll have something to offer or at least commiserate when we put Brenna and Molly in the same room. It sounds like it's working okay other than the 2 "bad" nights...N doesn't nap anymore, does she? I've been encouraging MG to nap again because she gets up early on school mornings with K. Doesn't always work but I got tired of dealing with her becoming unhinged after dinner from lack of sleep.
welcome back! Only 3 more months?? Time flies!
Welcome back! Dane (also 4) always wants someone to sleep with him. We have taken to laying down until he counts to a certain number. Often it's only 10 or 20 and then we leave. It seems to satisfy him.
He LOVES sharing a room with Owen (almost 2) but Owen sleeps much better in a room alone.
Post a Comment