Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yeah, well...

In this case you can assume, no news is good news. Things have finally settled back into some semblance of normal in these parts. Aside from my 16th month old NOT SLEEPING! I've been rationalizing it away for several weeks, I mean he has been cutting his canine teeth FOREVER (and a day). His little hands are shoved in his mouth constantly. Three are finally through and that fourth one looks close. Plus, he just got his shots on Monday so of course he's a bit unhappy. Someone less in denial would have to admit manipulation. After trying to get him down for two hours last night, he finally screamed it out in his jail (I mean crib) and fell blissfully asleep until morning. I even trialed him in a toddler bed thinking it was his crib that was upsetting him, but I think his whole stubborn little being was just focused on one thing, my bed where three would rest and only one would sleep blissfully. I apparently do not have the skills, patience, or genetic make-up to develop good sleepers; bring on June and the loony bin...

In less upbeat news the old dog is in his finally days (squeamish readers may want to skip this paragraph). He managed to originally rub a sore on the growth on his leg thus causing an infection that we were sure would ultimately be the end of him. However, miraculously after lots of careful wound care I left for Illinois believing this sore was almost healed and he might yet live to fight on. However I returned to find that he had done lots of damage to the spot in my absence rendering it mostly skinless with no hope of healing. I have been trying to keep the area clean and protected from his brutal mouth but one night he got all the bandages off and it bled out what looked like nearly a half pint of blood. I was surprised that didn't do him in. There is now no way to protect him from infection and the site looks horrible. It is the most awful thing to watch his body fail him as his spirit lives on strong. He exhibits no pain, he still manages to drag himself up to graze under the table whenever the kids are eating and he is still eating and drinking fine. He even seems to have gotten over his incontinence problems. I think things will go south quickly though, probably before the weekend. He smells horrible and did I mention the wound, ugh. Anyway, that was a much longer description than I intended, sorry for anyone who was forced to read. It has just been a really sad, unpredictable experience.

The unborn baby seems to be doing fine. I am currently 15 weeks. I had an appointment on Monday, heartbeat was in the 130-140s, I think I had gained .4 kg in five weeks so at least I'm not losing. Not that I won't make up for it in the long run. I'm starting to feel more regular movement so that is also reassuring. My husband got my a gift card to Motherhood Maternity for Christmas, so I hit their sales and got some long sleeve maternity shirts. I despise spending money on maternity wear, but I had no choice. It is nice to have some shirts that fit. I'm getting my energy back too so time to tackle some desperately needed cleaning.

Finally, my daughter has her first dance show on Sunday. I watched the dress rehearsal last week and they were too cute. I can't wait to see it. She is growing up way too fast...

3 comments:

d e v a n said...

Aw, sorry about the dog! Glad everything is going well with baby though!

Cindy said...

That's great that life is getting back to normal with a few normal bumps. Would one of those E-collars work for your dog? I bet N just looked adorable in her costume for the dance recital.:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry your doggie is unwell. Glad to year you got a couple of cute shirts. That always feels good.