Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bathroom Blues

This weekend past I finally got up the energy to scrape (literally with my fingernails) the old caulk out from around the bathtub. It has been getting more and more mildewy and I could not get it clean. It turns out the mildew was growing behind the caulk and showing through :( So I let it dry out for a day and then applied this prefab plastic strip that already had the adhesive on it. I had done this a few years ago and eventually ripped it out, but couldn't remember why. Anyway, because of the way the tub lining is shaped it is hard to get this tape set right, but I thought it was well in place. I waited more than the requisite 12 hours before my husband took a shower. Well, when I walked into the bathroom while he was still in the shower I stood in a big pool of water. I thought maybe he didn't have the curtain all the way closed (denial). I mopped that up and went downstairs and stood in another pool of water in the kitchen (end of denial). I didn't think it was possible that that much water could have run along the new tape and onto the floor, but I was confused. When I took a shower later, I put a new towel on the floor and a washcloth on the side of the tub. The towel was soaked and the washcloth was dry. I was forced to conclude that something was wrong so I pulled up all the tape and sure enough all behind the tape was full of water. Of course the tape left new residue that had to be scraped off (again mostly with said fingernails). I let it dry for more than 24 hours with the exhaust fan running and then used a new tube of silicone caulk to seal up everything in the tub surround. I was not sparing in anyway! This shower is not going to leak even if it sacrifices looks. Now I am just waiting for the 24 hour drying period to be up so I can take a shower. I probably wasn't supposed to use the caulking compound while pregnant, but it needed to be done. I tried to do it quickly and kept the exhaust fan on all the time. Only five more hours until I can see if this is the end of our bathroom woes.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I've been putting off doing the same in our shower. Hopefully, the caulking compound did the trick and you have no more leakes.

d e v a n said...

Our shower needs to be recaulked badly. After hearing your experience I'm going to make D mess with it. I don't think I have the energy...
Soooo, any belly pics laying around. ;)