Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Crisis Diverted, Injury Sustained

Sunday afternoon I went out to check the chemicals in the hottub while my daughter watched (for the second time) the movie we had rented. I realized the water wasn't circulating properly because there wasn't enough water in the tub. Since it was cold and miserable, it took me awhile to get the hose working and get the tub filled up. While it was filling, I tried to go inside to check on my 2 yo (who I could see watching the movie through the window). Well she must have wandered over at some point and turned the button on the doorknob, thus locking me out of the house. I had just a few minutes before locked the other doors to the house since my husband was out of town and I didn't want to forget to do it later. It is a terrible feeling to know that your child is locked inside the house and you have no way to reach her. Well, let's just say that a similar yet not quite so urgent situation happened a few years ago when I locked myself out with my dogs (including a 2 month old puppy) inside. After that incident in which I ended driving to another state with no wallet and almost running out of gas, I realized that there is a window on our house that is poorly secured and may be able to be forced open from the outside. Luckily this was true although being five months pregnant it was not comfortable or graceful (and probably a little bit dangerous) to be attempting this break-in and I scratched my side/hip fairly brutally on a nail. But all is well that ends well. My daughter did not noticed that I was locked out and was very willing to admit that she had indeed turned the lock button on the door. The abrasion has not developed an infection either. Here's hoping for a relatively calmer rest of the week.

1 comment:

d e v a n said...

yikes! I'm glad that you were able to get back in!