Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sleep, Solids, and Snow

These topics have dominated my life as of late. Pierce has not been sleeping well, he is up at least every 2-3 hours to eat, driving me crazy. I decided to try starting solids. I was a bit leery since I waited until nearly six months with my daughter but he was acting hungry and trying to eat my food. He is doing fine, I started on Friday with Rice cereal, I know how cliche' but being that he isn't even 5 months I thought I had better start simple. He likes it fine. I gave him some banana today and yesterday and he ate it, although he grimaced at the taste and it later came out in his diaper looking like little brown worms, eew! Well, the sleep has not improved. I know he is just using nursing to get back to sleep. Keep in mind, he is not up at night, just wakes up and carries on until I give in and nurse him (even if he was just up 2 hours ago) and goes straight back to sleep. It is just the continually interrupted sleep that is wearing on me. It is not entirely his fault. My newly three year old is starting to have dreams and is waking up with bad dreams and coming into our room. She always wants me to go to her room, which is fine, except it ALWAYS wakes up my son. So even if he was nicely asleep he is now awake AND if I don't go and get him back to sleep he will decide he is awake for the day so that means I can't spend time with my daughter. Double crap for everyone, aargh!. Don't get me wrong when my son is awake he is as my husband describes, "Guy Smiley". He is always grinning and giggling, rarely cries so it is hard to be frustrated, I just long for four hours of sleep...
In other news we are losing our snow in a hurry. I'm bummed because we actually had enough snow to do winter activities and it is now almost gone. We have had five days with temps above freezing and some rain to thank for that. Also, as I do every time the snow recedes, I got to engage in the lovely task of emerging dog feces removal. I scooped six grocery bags over the last few day, yuck! I am sure our spring weather will leave us soon and it will be back to the bitter cold minus the lovely snow cover. We are headed north in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping they can hold onto some of their snow. So off I go to sleep (solidly I hope) and dream of snow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lack of sleep is the cruelest thing, I sympathize with you!

d e v a n said...

good luck on sleep stuff. It sucks.