Last Thursday I had an insight into what it is truly like to be a mother of multiple children. On Thursday mornings we go to a class/playgroup/mommy group type of thing. My daughter loves these classes but she doesn't like to hurry so that we can get there on time. Well last Thursday we slept later than we should have. I got her out of bed and she did her normal puttering around that she does in the morning. She definitely wanted to go to school but wanted to go on her time... Anyway, I got her dressed and fed the baby and put him in his carseat and put him downstairs. I scarfed down some breakfast while reminding her again to come down and put her shoes on. I decided to walk (it is about 10 blocks away) so she would have time to eat a little bit on the way. I went to the garage to get the stroller, ran upstairs to put her shoes on, came down to grab the baby and he and vomited in his carseat and was covered from head to toe (did I mention my feelings on his current medication?). I brought him up and changed him and wiped down the carseat. At this point my daughter starts yelling that she wants breakfast (not content with the banana, granola bar, and milk I promised her on the ride). I brought him out to the stroller, it is now 9:30 the time when we were supposed to be at school. While I am putting my son in the stroller my cell phone rings. It is my best friend from high school. The friend who just had the baby 2 1/2 weeks ago who I have been not been able to get ahold of on the phone, grr... I try to talk to her while dragging my screaming 2 year old out to the stroller. Her phone is breaking up to make things worse so I only got to talk to her for a minute. Finally we get on the way, my daughter eats the food I brought for her and we get to ECFE 20 minutes late. Why didn't you just stay home you may ask? My daughter loves these classes, it is the highlight of her week. If we hadn't gone, life would have been much, much worse. My point? I realized that things are exponentially harder with two.
2 comments:
Sorry about the struggle! 20 min late isn't too bad!
It will get easier as your youngest gets older. But, yes, it is harder. 1+1 does not equal 2.
Post a Comment