Thursday, October 25, 2007

So Proud

I'm so proud of my daughter. I finally took her to the doctor because I just didn't think this sudden accidents (having accidents within a few minutes of having peed) and sudden onset bedwetting (enough to fill a pull-up and soak the bed) made any sense. Anyway, I wanted to rule out a UTI or bladder infection. I found out from the nurse practitioner that it is so uncommon for a child under 5 to have either of these that if they test positive they refer them from an u/s to check for renal reflux among other things. Anyway, she knew right away what was wrong. She asked if we used bubble bath, I said no. She asked if we washed her hair and then let her play in the bath and I said yes. In retrospect I realized that my daughter, who loves her bath had been sitting in it but not playing lately and then the last few days asked for a shower. When I asked her this morning if it hurt to pee, she said no, it hurts when I take a bath. That is why I decided to get things checked out. Anyway, long story short she was an absolute trooper and peed in the cup without flinching. The dip came back negative so that was wonderful, they didn't have to cath her. The dr. thinks it is the shampoo irritating her and when she pees it hurts so she stops peeing (only relieving herself a small amount). Hence the complete gush in the middle of the night despite having had nothing to drink for three hours before bed and the frequent accidents during the day. Her body was waiting until she was complete relaxed to relieve itself. I put some diaper cream on her and she has been using the potty again and said if feels much better. I knew she had really sensitive skin. I have had to buy dye free toilet paper, laundry detergent, soap, no dryer sheets, etc. Anyway, I hope with some proper precautions we can get rid of her discomfort and quit the potty worries! Now if I could just solve my problems...

1 comment:

d e v a n said...

I'm glad you found out what was wrong! Poor thing!